Simple Solutions to Horrible Azure Pain - as Usual

I recently spent far too long debugging a problem with our Azure application. We have two Azure cloud projects, and they both started refusing to start at about the same time, with different error messages. The web applications they house both worked absolutely fine when deployed to local IIS. There turned out to be two different problems - both very simple - so I thought I'd share what they turned out to be :)

Problem 1

One application failed to start in Azure, with the error message "Unable to find the constructor for Type FormattedDatabaseTraceListener". We'd recently switched from logging to Azure Table Storage using a DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener to logging to a database using a FormattedDatabaseTraceListener. This had been succesfully tested on one cloud project (an MVC application) but the other (a WCF service) refused to start. We're using the Enterprise Library for logging, but commenting out the logging configuration didn't make any difference.

I eventually noticed the difference between the MVC app and the WCF service - the MVC app had an Azure config transform which added a FormattedDatabaseTraceListener to the system.diagnostics config section; there's no way of specifying constructor arguments for listeners registered in this section (unlike in the Enterprise Library configuration), the FormattedDatabaseTraceListener doesn't have a parameterless constructor, and the exception was indicating this problem. I fixed this by creating a subclass of FormattedDatabaseTraceListener which had a parameterless constructor and registering that instead - presto!

Problem 2

The MVC app was failing to start, saying that there was no configuration file. Specifically, the Azure RoleEntryPoint wasn't able to use the application's DI system to resolve its dependencies, as there was no configuration.

Our Azure projects are configured to use Full IIS mode, which means the applications run in IIS, and the RoleEntryPoints run in Hosted Web Core. The application uses web.config, and the RoleEntryPoint uses WaIISHost.exe.config. It turned out the build action for WaIISHost.exe.config was set to 'Never copy' - setting it to 'Copy always' did the trick.

It pretty much always seems to turn out that horrible bugs have simple solutions!

Print | posted @ Sunday, June 5, 2011 8:21 PM

Comments on this entry:

Gravatar # re: Simple Solutions to Horrible Azure Pain - as Usual
by Marc at 7/6/2011 8:47 AM

I like the problem-solution items. it will definitely help others, having the same problem!
Post A Comment
Title:
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Verification: